Anganwadi workers slowly gathered at the Dak Bungalow crossing from 10 am and started demonstration there from 11 am. Sensing the gravity of the situation police swung into action and dispersed the agitating Anganwadi sevikas.
It took more than four hours for police to pacify the agitators and clear the blockade. The blockade immediately showed its impact as huge traffic jams were witnessed in all the roads leading to Patna Junction or Gandhi Maidan.
It may be mentioned here that Anganwadi workers were on war path for the past one month demanding revision in their wages. Thy sat on indefinite dharna at Gardanibagh and a few days ago they tried to take out a procession to Vidhan Sabha to press for their demands but police stopped them from marching ahead.
Police detained 15 sevikas but they were released in the evening. Police also have lodged FIRs against 2000 unknown persons.
Anganwadi workers demands;
- Give the status of government employees
- Include them as Class III and Class 4 employees
- Enhance salary of Sevika to 18000 and Sahayika to 12000 till giving them the status of government employees
- Fixed working hours to 8 hours
- Give additional honourarium to sevikas (Rs 7000) and Sahayika (Rs 4500) as being given by Telangana government
- Cancell Anganwadi Vikas Samiti
- Continue with Poshahar Sanchalan Samiti as was earlier
- Medical benefit, maternity leave of 180 days, medical and casual leaves.